Thursday, October 04, 2007

It's Fair Time in the Country!

It is the tail end of Fair time in Maine and I went to the Farmington Fair in my area about two weeks ago.

I haven't been in a couple of years so John and I spent four hours walking around. We spent time in the Exhibition Hall looking at a variety of submissions by residents in surrounding towns. There were categories in baking, photography, oil and watercolors, knitting, crocheting, tatting, quilting, rug making, basketry, woodworking, and agriculture.

There were products for sale such as jellies, jams, preserves, honey, syrups, fudge and handmade crafts.

Walking outside there were additional vendors selling a variety of items including; bulky knitted sweaters, sweatshirts, jewelry, leather wallets, hot tubs, and food! Foods of all types including complete homemade meals and lobster rolls. There was even one Thai food vendor.

The carnival rides were there. We always ride the Tilt-A-Whirl because it makes me laugh and giggle in wild abandonment like a four year old, and it is the only ride I feel "safe" on. I have this "thing" about being so many feet above the ground unless I am structurally well-supported.

We were at the Fair during hours when the horses were racing and John, who loves horses and watches horse racing on TV has never attended one in person, so we watched one and then he placed several bets. He thoroughly enjoyed himself and won a few (I say a few) dollars. It was fun!!

We also visited the animal exhibits which are always interesting for me. It's the petting zoo I never got to participate in as a child because petting zoos not not exist. There was the usual variety of lambs, ducks, special breeds of chickens, llamas, a donkey, miniature horse, cows and Bulls! They caught my eye in a big way! Those creatures are HUGE ! When we first entered their building, John and I wondered would it be safe? They were in open stalls, not tied in, and they are gigantic! They could easily kill a human with size alone, yet they were so peacefully docile. It was a moving experience for us both. Resting on all fours, these animals stood almost 6 feet. Their legs down to their hooves were massive! I asked if I could pet one and was given permission. I was humbled at their calmness, and the feel of their body...... warm and silky. He weighed 4400 pounds and did not even flinch as I moved my hand on his hip area. I was impressed with at him for his relaxed calmness, and myself for having the nerve to get that close and touch. I was born and raised in the city, and touching anything other than a dog or cat is unusual (smiles).

I find most farm animals to be friendly and eager to interact with human beings. They are inquisitive and loving; much like babies, toddlers, and children under 7. It is refreshing to be in their company. It brings out the innocence and the way it is supposed to be on this planet. If only we could spread this interactive lovingness to everyone on the planet, life would be so wonderful and peaceful!!

There was also a building set aside for businesses wishing to expose you to their products. There were the usual local businesses, and there were a few "new age" vendors offering massage and magnetic jewelry to stop or ease body pain. Magnets, when correctly applied are excellent at stopping pain. But you must know the "rules" of magnetics. Improperly used, they can create problems. There is information available about this on Google and some books on healing will have a chapter or two on magnets. I personally got instant relief from shoulder blade ache when I jokingly asked John to put a small round magnet (used in crafting) on the spot that was painful. He held it there for all of 60 seconds and the pain disappeared and did not creep back!

So be aware that there are different forms of healing available if you need it. The body does not always have to be drugged in order to bring relief or to heal. If you are interested in learning more about magnetic application, here are some links for you to explore:

Magnetic Therapy Websites:
http://www.northpolemagnets.com/understanding_magnetic_therapy.html
http://www.emaxhealth.com/6/459.html
http://www.naturesherbal.com/Healing_Magnets.htm

People who use a medical device such as a pacemaker, defibrillator, or insulin pump, should not use magnets because they may affect the magnetically controlled features of such devices.

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/magnet/magnet.htm

And now for the SlideShow!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, I am also from Maine, near Bangor. Your question about about Bulls, when they are housed with the rest of the herd, they're sexual drive is diminished, so are much more docile. But I would have been cautious. If they get out of control, they can be dangerous.

heavensent said...

Believe me, my heels were fixed in "let's get the heck out of here" mode if any one of them made a fast move!!

Yvonne